Everybody these days has a camera of one sort or another. Even the cheapest of cell phones has a camera built into it that rivals the first digital camera I bought almost ten years ago. Back then it was the height of technology; now it's beyond antiquated. But as the technology gets better, faster and more complex with every year, why are we still seeing the same quality of photographs time and time again? Look at the images you took with that 12.1 Megapixel all-singing, all-dancing digital camera and tell me they are any better than you used to take with the Kodak Brownie? Remember when you used to unload film from your camera, then wait days for it to be developed? I am sure the joy of traditional photography can be traced back those few moments of frantic shuffling of photographs while still standing in the lab/drug store/mall. Anyway, my point is it's not the camera that takes great photographs, it's YOU. Sure, all the modern technology helps, but we have forgotten the basics. Most Point-and-Shoots don't even have a viewfinder anymore, so how are you to frame an image correctly? Having the camera in our hands, while looking at a tiny little LCD screen, removes us completely from the seductive sensation of bringing the camera up to our face, closing one eye, and looking at the world through a tiny rectangle of light.
Okay, so you are looking for help. Either as a complete beginner or a serious amatuer who wants some direction/coaching, or somewhere in between. I offer three levels of photography workshop, so there is something for everyone. (And if you don't see something here that will work for you, consider hiring me for some individual tutoring, or have me build a custom workshop for your photography group?):
What I do:
So what is 'Concepia"? And why is it "Your Center for Photography"?
Concepia is run by local photographer, John Sinclair, and is located in Friday Harbor, on the beautiful island of San Juan, WA.
Concepia offers the following services:
- Commercial Gallery: San Juan Island's only dedicated photographic gallery.
- Photographic Studio: Concepia is a Portraiture studio, but we have experience in all areas of commercial photography. Award Winning!
- Photoshop Services: From retouching and restoring 100 year old photos to scanning and archiving your precious memories.
- Large Format Printing: Concepia runs an Epson 9900. The best 44" printer in the world! From Premium Luster to Matte Canvas, we can print on it all.
- Standard Printing: Don't need a huge print for you wall? Let me take care of the smaller prints too. 8x10's start at $10.
- Art Bookstore: Largest collection of monographs north of Powells, or close to it. Come sit on the couch and browse the world's photographers.
- Technology Tutoring: From Photoshop to Mac, we'll hold your hand through every step.
- Photographic Workshops: we run these throughout the year, from beginners to advanced levels. Check out our calender for what's coming up
So you see, with all these services on offer, Concepia really is a "Photographic Center". Even if you don't see it see it listed on here, come in and talk to me. We'll find a solution to whatever problem you have.